Comic Book Case

Batman #47 (Can Gordon ever win?)
A while back when I talked about this book I mentioned that the issue was that it always seems Bruce gets the more interesting story between him and Gordon. Gordon begins and ends his battle with Bloom only to find out that Bloom's plan was only beginning as we discover that there is more than on Bloom. Gordon'ts dialogue is more of a saving grace as he really seems to be cementing himself into the role but again I feel this is probably better in Detective Comics. Bruce meanwhile has the more interesting story with Duke apparently figuring out that Bruce is Batman. I believe that Duke is a key character in We Are Robin and I kind of want to read the book now. The only issue is that it was always built up that Batman had some kind of super amnesia that kept him from being Batman but it seems that his brain still works the same way just without the drive. I think this was always hinted at throughout the book that I just didn't notice because I wasn't really accepting that Bruce wasn't Batman because to me Bruce was always Batman. It's a scene that I would love to see happen in an animated version with the tunnel and the Bat. Marcus seems to imply that Bruce is hiding from the truth and honestly it makes sense overall. Bruce has tried to not be Batman sometimes and the events of Endgame, Death of the Family, and Court of Owls have left an impact on him and that's just what's happened in a the past year. As Bruce sits on the bench he was found on and tries to come to terms with what he knows to be true, he finds himself face to face with a special someone who can change everything for Bruce and Gotham City.

Starfire #7 (So drama for the sake of drama)
So in Batgirl Dick Grayson got some heat from Barbara because he was flirting with her while she was currently dating Luke Fox and now it seems Dick is creating drama in Starfire's book as she is kind of working things out with Sol. Sol is interesting enough as a character, wanting to move on after the loss of Maria but isn't really ready. Then Dick Grayson shows up and I originally thought this was going to promote Titan Hunt. I do like that it seems to be a bit of a nicer direction for Dick in this book and I do like what it is doing for Starfire to an extent but I was really hoping for a new story to start but I hope it isn't about this love triangle or that it is at least handled well. Also, WHAT IS THE LITTLE FIRECRACKER FAIRY THING!?

Justice League Darkseid Wary: Lex Luthor (AWESOME BUT NEEDS MORE)
Like Shazaam's book Lex felt like he needed more in terms of story but not in the same way. As Lex tries to tap into the power of the Omega Effect we get a good look at his childhood and life and I feel like that should have played more off of the situation of Apokalypse which we hear is getting worse. Where Shazaam lacked the character it feels this one needed the story, like if Lex was having trouble controlling the power. Seeing Lex's past was awesome enough and you get why he is such a strong independent and controlled in individual. I kind of wish we got to see more of what he did in school or college but I do say that this is one of the best Darkseid War stories with Batman and Shazaam being at the bottom with Hal, Flash, and Superman at the top with Lex and Batman tied for fourth place.

Earth 2 Society #7 (We did a thing that was awesome but short)
This arc really felt like it was missing some parts. Doctor Impossible seems like an overly powerful enemy that was dealt with too easy and Helena's story always felt a bit flat in some places because it tied in to the origin of Doctor Impossible. It was a fun story in it's own right with everyone minus Hawkgirl (where is she?) as they try to stop Doctor Impossible from turning the Earth into a Mother Box. It was really all of the characters coming back together to be heroes, to be unified. almost like a :Justice Society" (I'm sorry). Alan Scott was awesome here, it was nice to see exactly how big and powerful he cold get and seeing Val try to patch things up. It really just wrapped itself up in too neat of a bow to match up the juice it set up. I am excited with what is to come later from this book.

Doctor Who: the Four Doctors (close but no cigar)
A long time ago when the Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker) had ended his run on the show and Peter Davison took over there was a special called the Five Doctors to celebrate the series. Tom Baker declined to be in it feeling that it had been too soon since his departure to be back but the story did goo without him, this isn't one of them. Clara is trying to prevent the Doctor from meeting up with his past selves to prevent something horrible from happening. Seeing Doctor's 10-12 meet up is fine but the problem here is that it seems that it was busy congratulating themselves for doing it, breaking the fourth wall about how awesome the "Multiple Doctor Event" and saying that the 9th Doctor was awesome because his incarnation was "fantastic" (though I think it was because he was never really given a choice like the others were). The problem really was that it forgot that it was a comic book and that anything could have happened and it didn't seem to get that until the end. Seeing the Doctor's facing significant moments in their life but if they made different choices was interesting but I think it would have been better had they all been moments in each incarnations future. I think this should have waited until the 12th Doctor's second season completion to help him flesh out properly and why is there no War Doctor interaction? He has ONE SCENE that never plays off of anything. There were no real interactions and I feel like they should have watched the Five Doctors again to get a feel about how a multi Doctor story should work.

Doctor Strange #3 (It got funny and then it got dark)
Doctor Strange wakes up naked and in his Astral Form without magic and it was awesome. Making his way though a city full of magic eating slugs and finding himself the only remaining Sorcerer Supreme across dimensions. I never talked about this earlier but I do love how most of the backgrounds outside of the Sanctum Sanctorum is black and white with all the magical things just popping out. In terms of story it feels that that the hammer has finally hit as we find the group Empirikill has been killing magic users and draining the magic from dimensions, which explains why all these magical creatures are going so far into our dimension, they have nowhere else to go. Strange again reminds me of Harry Dresden and I would be very surprised of Jason Aaron said he didn't read the series (I'm so far behind myself). He really puts a lot of emotion into the character and I feel that he has a good understanding of him though take my opinion on that with a grain of salt. 

Scarlet Witch #1 (Dark and awesome!)
Like Doctor Strange, I was aware of Scarlet Witch but I didn't know a lot about her. I'd heard a little interesting things here and there concerning All-New X-Men with Bendis. I was ultimately going into this knowing very little about her but I think that was for the best, not expecting a series of references just wanting to look at and understand the character. Honestly, Scarlet Witch is possibly the darkest book I've read in a while (not saying much I'm a bit of a wuss) but it really felt like Paul Dini's take on Zatanna, or Constantine but with the artwork of Justice League Dark though much darker, though the artwork was a bit much from me, it looked a bit gritty but like the work on Azzarello's Wonder Woman I'll get used to it if it's interesting and it proves to be as she learns that something or someone is messing with magic which is also happening in Doctor Strange. I like how serious it feels when compared to the former. It isn't bight, it isn't happy, or funny as Wanda links the death of cats and murders committed by low class workers to the French Revolution and Celtic Curses. It seems that if you want a more darker toned magic book than Strange then this is right up your alley.

Batman Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (Why not?)
The idea of Batman teaming up with Ninja Turtles is a good fun idea that I think was only limited by the writer doing it. Crossovers only make sense if universes getting crossed can work off each other. This is why certain anime and cartoon shouldn't crossover as well as books. Both Batman and the Turtles operate on simple enough basis with the Turtles being a bit more zany and more mutant and alien like which Batman himself does have experience with. So this book is rather interesting with the Turtles being in Gotham along with Shredder and the The Foot. with a chance for others to be there. Meanwhile Batman is currently "dealing" with the anniversary of his parent's death and acting like it isn't a problem for him and I do like how it seems the rest of the Bat Family is out of the city. With a string of tech thefts throughout the city with the turtles and Shredder involved I find myself generally excited about what is to come from this. Will the Turtles serve as sort of Robins to Batman and help him get through this week and will Batman trust the Turtles enough to help him. An interesting note is that according to Donatello, where Gotham should be in their dimension their is nothing but field and I wonder if this goes for other things and people.


*On another note, no Star Wars this month and yes I am reading Dark Knight Returns but I'll review that when it ends.

@ Images are property of DC, Marvel, and the BBC. 

Comments

Popular Posts